Interpreters & French Trials


 When you are a party or witness in court proceedings, you are entitled to the assistance of an interpreter if you do not speak or understand the language of the proceedings (Section 14 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms)

  • In criminal or child protection cases, the Court provides the interpreter. You should notify the Clerk of the Court as soon as possible, preferably at your first appearance, of your need for an interpreter.
  • In civil cases, you are responsible for making the arrangements if you are the person who needs an interpreter.
  • For brief appearances at the Case Management Office, Justice of the Peace Counter at Traffic Court and in most courtrooms, a telephone interpreter service is available.

French Trials; Des Procès en Français 

Canada’s official languages are French and English (Section 16, Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms).

Le français et l’anglais sont les langues officielles du Canada (Article 16, Charte canadienne des droits et libertés).

Most proceedings at the Provincial Court of Alberta are conducted in English; but an accused person has a right to a trial in French, with a prosecutor and a Judge who speak French (Sections 530 – 534, Criminal Code).

La plupart des procédures devant la Cour provinciale de l’Alberta se déroulent en anglais; mais, un accusé a droit à un procès en français, présidé par un juge qui parle français, avec un poursuivant qui parle français (Articles 530 – 534, Code criminel).

Any person may use French in oral communication before Provincial Court and any defendant may apply to the court for a French trial (Section 4, Languages Act; Section 2, Languages in the Courts Regulation).

Chacun peut employer le français ou l’anglais dans les communications verbales devant la Cour provinciale de l’Alberta et un défendeur peut présenter une demande à la Cour pour un procès en français (Article 4, Loi linguistique; Article 2, Règlement concernant des langues parlées devant les tribunaux).

Whether you are an accused person or a defendant, you should notify the Clerk of the Court as soon as possible, preferably at your first appearance, that you want a trial in French.

Accusé ou défendeur, vous devriez aviser le greffe du tribunal dès que possible, de préférence, à votre première comparution, que vous demandez un procès en français.