To help contain the spread of COVID-19, the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench will continue to limit hearings to emergency or urgent matters only. A list of emergency and urgent matters is set out in Appendix C to the Court’s Master Order #2 of March 20, 2020 (attached below).
Parties and/or Counsel who believe that their matter is an emergency or urgent are directed to contact the Court as follows:
Calgary, Drumheller, Grande Prairie:
Or, if you do not have access to email: 403.297.6267
Edmonton, St. Paul, Hinton, Peace River, Fort McMurray, High Level:
Or, if you do not have access to email: 780.427.0629
Red Deer, Wetaskiwin:
Or, if you do not have access to email: 403.340.7908
Lethbridge, Medicine Hat:
Or, if you do not have access to email: 403.382.4156
Between March 16 and May 1, 2020 the Court will make no new bookings in any non-emergency or non-urgent matter.
Clerk offices at all Court locations remain open to accept filings. However, access to Court locations is limited to those who must be present, and the Court has suspended all filing deadlines under the Alberta Rules of Court, with the exception of those Rules applicable to the commencement of proceedings, including originating applications.
For matters before the Court of Queen’s Bench previously scheduled between March 16 and May 1, 2020:
Civil and Family Proceedings:
- All Family, Justice and Masters Chambers matters, including Family Law Special hearings, Half Day Special Chambers hearings and Early Intervention Case Conferences are adjourned sine die;
- All civil trials that have not yet commenced are adjourned sine die;
- All civil trials currently in process must be rescheduled in consultation with the trial judge;
- All JDRs, Pre-trial conferences, Case Management bookings, Case Management Counsel meetings and Review Officer hearings are canceled and must be rescheduled.
- All jury trials currently in progress will continue.
All criminal matters set for continuation between March 16 and May 1, 2020 must be spoken to by the presiding Justice. Counsel or parties may contact the Criminal Court Coordinator in Calgary and Edmonton or the regional Court Coordinator in all other Judicial Centres to make arrangements.
All other criminal matters will be addressed as set out in the Court’s Master Order #2 of March 20, 2020.
AN UPDATE TO THIS NOTICE WILL BE MADE ON OR BEFORE APRIL 29, 2020